We’ve all heard and read about writer’s block. That’s the time when you seem to run out of ideas when you sit in front of the laptop. We are sure you have experienced this on occasion. The feeling of loss and seeming blank you draw…
There are actually posts about why you have writer’s block. Perhaps some of them are scientific while others are sort of dodgy. And if you Google it, these are some of them:
- You’ve Lost Your Way… heheh
- Your Passion Has Waned. It happens… yup
- Your Expectations Are Too High… trying to earn money from blogging?
- You Are Burned Out… stress?
- You’re Too Distracted… too much other things to think of?
Think this was from a writer called Jane Friedman.
So how is one to get back into inspiration? Again if one trawl the web, there are quite a list of methods such as:
- Going for a walk (it actually helps in our view)
- Eliminate distractions (eg put yourself in a quiet room?) Nah
- Do something to get your blood flowing… ?
- Play… (hmmm wonder what that means)
- Change your environment
- Read a book (which always helps)
- Free write (heard of it?)
- Listen to music (yeah why not use the lyrics as inspiration?)
One reason we seem to post every 2 days is because most if not all of the posts are scheduled well ahead. How do we have so many posts? For one thing we have a few running series – such as our handprint stories from journeys past. And then there is the MRT series… and then…
Most important, we actually draft numerous half complete posts with just the title and some sentences, whenever we hit an inspiration. That way, we can come back to them later and “fill” them up. But our secret is in short posts – not much more than 300 words and usually around 250 words unlike this one. Short, sharp and impactful where possible.
Also, we sort of turn back to food when we run out of ideas… because that’s something we really like – to eat that is… heheh. For us, the things that one likes a lot is always a source of ideas and creativity. Don’t you think so?
PS: you might notice we are not active on WP anymore. It’s like a phase in life. Sometimes one get all excited over this ‘new’ thing. When something else comes along, well… anyway the pre posts continue, just less interaction hereon…